Details of my travel whilst on the road

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Day Three

This was just a fountain i spotted when walking around tonight.

Eating a french baguette in Seoul... i am getting ahead of myself...

Today was completely different from the last two except that it started badly and ended well (as they all have). I slept in (yay! am so tired) this morning, then headed in to town after lunch at about 12 - expecting to make it to my appointment by 1, giving me an hour and a half to look through the library of the organisation i was visiting. Well - long story short, with some major train mishaps, then the absense of the bus i was told to take, the pay phone denying my phone card and eating all my change... and every cab driver unable to read the address i had to go to... i was screwed! It came 2.10 (20 minutes before meeting) and i could not find a net cafe, or think of another option... in the end i found a cabbie who called an interpreter for me! Then called the organisation i was meant to visit and got directions from them, and took me there! Seeing he did all that and used his own cell phone, i tipped him. After all that, the meeting was fantastic, the best yet, and really really rewarding.

After that i went to find the seoul city bus tour, which was equally frustrating - no one speaks english here, and i am rubbish with new languages... After LOTS of searching i found it, and made the last bus, which meant i couldnt get on and off as usual, just had to take the ride as is.

Before finding it, there was an art installation on the sidewalk, based on the subway, with sculpted people, i will attach pics. (its hard to describe, but the people were of odd proportions, and emaciated, but it looked trippy) Anyway, then i walked around a new area for a few hours, then came home, met Irhe's Father, and now i am relaxing and writing this!

Ok, that guys is reall, but the ticket box isnt...

Ok, now maybe no one else thinks this is funny, but there were Bat Boy (from weekly world news) posters up all over the place... odd

Anyway, things are ok, hoping to attend a documentary film festival opening night tomorrow, then dinner and a jazz club.. should be great.

Miss u all. matt

PS. to answer the comments i got - Kimchi is like a major traditional/obsession here. There are over 200 forms, but basically it is fermented cabbage with chille - and it varies in terms of fermentation and heat, oilyness etc etc. With all the sidedishes, it is not just with meals. If you go for a drink, you are expected to buy all these side nibbles as a kind of cover charge... and they normally cost more than the drinks! Also, will try to post pics of my homestay soon. Take care!

1 Comments:

  • Hey Matt, good to see your enjoying most of your trip despite some minor set backs.
    I think the idea of extra food with drinks is good, I always seem to get the munchies on a night out....they should start that at the glassie.
    I am at work at the moment and kinda busy (RARE), I'll check back in a few days, keep the photos comin'. I liked those cardboard cutouts or whatever they are, definitely trippy....
    I would ask more questions, but I think I’ll leave that to Chris...LOL.
    Keep havin fun,
    Cheers, Mel.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home