Details of my travel whilst on the road

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Insa Dong Tourist Information

Hi all. I am now in Seoul - in Insa Dong at the Tourist Information center - they have free internet!

Things have been fine since i got here, i am in a homestay with a student from KNUA (Irhe) and his family. The apartment is nice, and only 3 blocks from the subway station. Yesterday Irhe and I went to a big park area, then i came into the city to look around. Same as today, i ended up in Insa Dong. I checked out one of the big palaces, and all the arty stalls and shops along the strip here. I met with my lecturer and his wife for dinner and drinks, and i was lucky that we were joined by a renowned Korean screen writer from the 1950s/60s - Mr Beck (spelling?), who is experiencing a second wave of adulation as some of the films he collaborated on with a famous Korean director were recently showcased at the Busan film festival. Luckily my lecturers wife is fluent in English and Korean, so we had a lively discussion on all things life, love and film over many bottles of Soju. We were also joined by a well known producer who has just returned from America, and is planning the production of a film penned by the screenwriter.

In the end i stayed in a cheap hotel in the city for the night, then doubled back to Irhe's house at 9am, showered etc, then came back into the city for my first interview. It went well, only took half an hour, but it was good. I have another tomorrow and one friday. On saturday i will go up to the Demilitiarised Zone on the border with North Korea. And on Friday night i will meet with 2 former UOW students, one of whom is running an independent documentary film festival - and we will attend the opening.

I am considering heading back a little early, as some of the places i thought to visit it seems may not be worthwhile - especially without a loca to show me around. It is not as tourist friendly here as some cities - which is good and bad. I am not sure if the earlier trip is possible tho, as all the flights are wait listed at present.

Tonight i will meet again with my Lecturer for dinner. Tommorow i may sleep in, as i still feel tired - from the flight, climate or lots of walking?? Maybe a combination - also i am still adjusting to the beds here, which is basically sleeping on the floor - in my case the bed unit is about 5-10 off the floor, and is a heated stone tablet!

Anyway, hi to everyone, i miss you all, take care and see you soon!

Matt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home