Details of my travel whilst on the road

Friday, October 13, 2006

Making Juice

Last visit to Young Grandad sorted us out with a range of fresh fruits and vegetables to bring home. We had long since finished all the vegies, but still had a huge amount of fruit left (I guess we got abut 10kg to begin with!). So i bought a little plastic juicer to make some fresh juice - top idea right?

So I squeezed all of these oranges, tangarines, tangellos, lemonades etc etc by hand. It took a fair while and I made a considerable mess in the process. But hey - cant put a price on good health and nutrious fresh juice right? (Well actually, it would be about $5 per 2 litre bottle I reckon). Anyway, for all of that fruit - I only ended up with this much juice....!

That is about 1 litre. It reminded me of my beloved grandma, who ALWAYS had freshly squeezed juice in the fridge, made from grandads fruit. There was always at least 2 or 3 variations going - with 4 to 6 litres cold in the fridge at one time. Every possible combination of fruits where trialled in that kitchen, and I am in awe at how she managed to keep the supply up!

The time has come, I had better go try some................ Well. It is yummy. I am glad I only put one small grapefruit in it, because the tang of the lemonades marches home strong at the finish. But its good, and very very pulpy (lumpy). Healthy, delicious and.... fruity.

1 Comments:

  • I know the secret to the endless supply of juice in Grandma's fridge..... Granddad used to the be the squeezer.... She just used to take the credit for it! Gee, I miss all those juices, better let Granddad know to stock up in about 4 weeks time....

    By Blogger Aussie Abounds, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home