Details of my travel whilst on the road

Sunday, December 11, 2005


So, here are some pictures from Berlin! Above is me in front of the Berlin wall, part of the graffiti art there...

First up below, me in a christmas ball -- i managed to escape.

This is the second largest section of the Berlin wall remaining... and ironically it is surrounded by a fence to save it from being hacked at for souvenirs..

This was a cool monument to the book burnings, it is outside Berlins oldest modern University (indeed the oldest in the world), and it is completelz underground - a huge room of empty bookshelves. It is big enough to hold 20,000 books, the number the Nazi's burnt on that spot.
Some handsome chap in front of some handsome building...

Brandenburg gate... said to be the heart of Berlin.

This is the last picture i took of the open air graffiti gallery that adorns the largest piece of the wall remaining... and fittingly it preceeded a kind of shitty afternoon;

I took the train out to see this gallery, and on the advice of the hostel guy here, i sought out a 'communism statue/monument'. It took ages, lots of walking in the freezing cold, and finally when i got to the area on the corner of the map he directed me to, i couldn't find anything! I grabbed some late lunch, then sought out some helpful souls to guide me. The third (a convenience store clerk) informed me i was very close to the mark on the map i was seeking, but didnt know what i was seeking... (starting to sound like the holy grail!). Anyway, after chatting to another local, it seems it was just a half meter sqaure plaque on the ground... thats all there is in the area! So, either the guide here showed me the wrong place, was messing with me, or there was some other miscommunication... In any case, i was amid a ghetto-ish area, kind of lost and bloody cold... nevertheless, i found my way back in the dark, and now am at the hostel. It wasnt that big a deal, but a pain in the ass to waste half a day when i only have 2 days here.

On a brighter note, the film museum i went to this morning was really good, 2.5 hours flew by there. Only let down was the exclusion of world film, and the inclusion of a CGI exhibition... damn u CGI!

3 Comments:

  • I love the picture of the Christmas ball. It reminds me when I was in Berlin... 8 years ago. The Brandenburg Tor (gate) is still the same ^^. The float above it is from Napoleon if my memory is fine.

    By Blogger -M-ric, at 1:21 PM  

  • the statue above the gate was originally german, and napoleon stole it to take to the Louvre on his way through germany. After the war germany got it back, and its significance changed (even the goddess it was meant to embody), they included the german coat of arms on the womans scepter, and eagle, and even put a crown on the eagle just to make it clear it was true sign of victorious germany... or so my guide told me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:33 PM  

  • CGI = computer generated imagery (you should know that Mr Gigabyte!). CGI = the decay of the art of cinema... to hell with it!!

    Thanks re the pictures, i have lots more of course, which i can show u later, and will try to put up more through the posts later when i have the chance.

    By Blogger Matt, at 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home